Read, or enjoy the audio version:
More Resources for the Growing Voiceover Artist!
If you missed part 1, it can be found here.
When Zach Hendrix recently asked me for a list of some of my most helpful blogs to be featured in upcoming supporting articles for voice talent, it served three purposes:
- Flatter me
- Inflate my ego
- Make me blush and giggle like a teenage girl
Additionally, it inspired me to post yet another “Best Of” compilation of my most trafficked blogs for your viewing enjoyment, because I have had literally zero time this week to write a new blog. Also it encouraged me to repent and confess that I have been lazy and unmotivated, sitting around like a fat Jabba sloth in my own slow-moving ooze, milkshake in one hand, salt lick in the other hand, and Fudgesicle in the other hand. Yes, I grew a third arm in my slothfulness. I plan on eating it.
Ultimately, there are so many resources to sift through online, that one can feel like one who is sifting through resources online. I am proficient at similes.
So with that, I humbly present to you The Compendium Extraordinaire For Resources To Equip You With The Utmost Knowledge In Succeeding At Voiceovers. The acronym (patent-pending) is TCEFRTEYWTUKISAV. One would pronounce this like tuh-keferr-tey-wutukee-sav."
But you may call it:
“Joshy’s Greatest Hits, Volume 2.”
Producing a "Best-Of Blog" is the same tactic that your favorite sitcom writers will occasionally employ when faced with writer’s block when the otherwise creative juices simply weren’t flowing. It works. Do not judge me.
So here are my top 5+ recent articles on various subjects. I have decided after all to not eat my arm. Instead, may I “arm” you with knowledge?
You are welcome. I tried to compile some resources that give you encouragement and inspiration, and fall just short of promising you success. After all, no one can make any such guarantee of your own success. Only you can do that. Anyone promising you quick results or immediate success in VO is a charlatan at best and a wolf in sheep's clothing at worst. Or a charlatan in sheep's clothing. Or a sheep in wolf's clothing who is a charlatan. Or a charlatan-wolf who likes to dress up as a sheep and still be a charlatan. Or a charlatan wolf sheep whose DNA has all been fused together so that they howl at the moon while being deceptively shorn.
I will see myself out.
Here you go! Consider yourself armed!
Arming You with knowledge on Starting Out
- On what an adventure you are embarking upon
- On the level of income possible in voiceovers, and your remote chances at earning any of it
- My supplemental site
- An Example of a Fantastic Storyteller
- How I Started in Voiceovers
- On reading Difficult Scripts with Difficult Words
Arming You with Knowledge on Charging Market Rates
- On knowing your worth and what an immeasurable opportunity you have in VO
- On toeing the line with market rates
- On Compromise
- On doing work for free or for charity
- On Get-Rich-Quick Notions
Arming You with Knowledge on Treating Voiceovers Like a Business
- On Truth in Your Advertising
- The Best Friend a VO Businessman could ask for
- On making sound technology choices
- On securing your VO domain name & website
- Your Complete VO Shopping List
- On Maturity and Professionalism
Arming You with Knowledge on Storytelling
- On the weight our voices carry
- On being a Storyteller with my kids
- Taking inspiration from Storyteller Shel Silverstein
- On introducing you to the Greatest Storyteller Of All
- On Personalizing Stories for your clients
- Why everyone needs a Voiceover Toddler
Arming You with Tips For Success
- On Adaptability & Being Bounced Around
- My Secrets to VO Success
- Dealing with Control Freaks
- On being a Voiceover Superhero
- On the weight our voices carry
- On Taking a Break
Used by permission from Clker-Free-Vector-Images via Pixabay
So there you have it. You have been armed. You will be an absolute indomitable success in 24 hours, for the lump sum of $359,742.99, and I take Visa. It is truly everywhere you want to be, and I know you truly want to be everywhere in VO, so I will gladly charge you for it. I promise you immediate results. Baaaa.
This has been Joshy’s Greatest Hits, Volume 2. Thank you for reading.
YOU HAVE MADE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE END, AND I SALUTE YOU.
- Like this blog? My children are counting on you to put bread on our table through the purchase of one of my books. Do it for the children.
- NOTE: This blog is purely for commentary / educational / entertainment purposes. I am looking at YOU, PicRights & Higbee. I make no money from these blogs; though I do not refuse large cash gifts if it means I can pretend I am a church
- Check out my whole UNIVERSE of blogs right HERE!
- This is a fourth bullet point.
AND HEY! WAIT JUST A S.E.C.!
- S-UBSCRIBE & S-HARE!: If you enjoyed this blog, please consider subscribing and sharing with friends and family, and encouraging them to subscribe and share. Offer treats for doing so.
- E-NCOURAGE: Go encourage someone else today with a single, simple sentence of affirmation. Tell them, “I like your earrings”, unless of course they are manly men, in which case you should compliment them on the size of their chainsaw.
- C-OMMENT: I want to hear from you. Please feel free to comment below! Comments with lots of “You’re wonderful” or “You’re the best” will receive instant approval and acclaim.
Seattle Voice Actor & Voiceover Artist for hire